Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fatherless Parenting



To Father (from Mother of Child)

This wasn’t in my wildest dreams
Raising our child all alone
Playing both mommy and daddy
Paying this mortgage on my own

How could you sleep at night?
Knowing that your child needs you?
Knowing that they need food?
Knowing that they need shoes?

Knowing that it takes two to tango
You’re just repeating what your dad did
He ran in and out of your life for years
You never understood as you were a kid

But now that you are a grown adult
I thought you’d never act this way
Doing the same exact thing he did
You hit rewind and pressed replay

You weren’t cut out to be a parent
I wish back then it was apparent
But it’s true, you live and you learn
You can continue to be transparent

Because we will make it without you
You are the one who’s missing out
You were trying to get back at me
But me is not who it’s about

To Father (from Child)

Since I have talked to you last
It’s been forever and some days
I prayed for you all the time
Hoping that one day you’d change your ways

What is it that I did wrong?
I went to school and got straight A’s
I took care of mom when you were gone
All I ever wanted was some praise

All I ever wanted was your love
All I ever wanted was a father
All I ever needed was for you to be there
But now, please don’t bother

Because I’ve made it this far without you
There is no doubt I still have a void
You were supposed to be a role model
And you have no idea what you destroyed

You have destroyed my self-esteem
You have destroyed so much more
But I have regained my control
So destroy me, you will no more

The damage has already been done
And I made it through as a result
But no matter how old that I get
Remember I’m the child, you’re the adult


To Mother and Child (from Father)

I’m so taken aback by these words
I did the best that I could
Well, with what I had
I think you both misunderstood

See I was raised by a single mother
My dad left me when I was young
He would promise to come and get me
So his words is where I clung

He was never a role model to me
Where was I supposed to learn?
I never wanted to be like him
Where did I make the wrong turn?

The truth is that I was scared
So I ran because it was painless
I never wanted it to be like this
I wish that I could make your pain less

But please use me as a teacher
I have taught you to be strong
I have taught you to overcome
I can’t admit that I was wrong

You both may think I’m a coward
But I am still a man with pride
If you are ever feeling down
Read Maya Angelou’s Still I Rise

Because life will throw you lemons
Making lemonade is up to you
Whether you forgive me is the same
That is totally up to you too


To All (from Me)

Single mom and fatherless child
Consider it a blessing in disguise
Because you can learn from every time
That your eyes and heart cries

You both should forgive him
I’m glad that you wrote these letters
I want you to know that he was right
If he knew how, he would have done better

Just know that it’s not your fault
His absenteeism has to do with him
Making lemonade is still your choice
You can sink or you can swim

To the father that is missing out
Still I Rise is a great poem
But how can you go through life
When you have a child and do not know them?

Having no father is not an excuse
But what it does is help to explain
Why you stepped out on your child
And then went and did the same

As an adult you had a choice
Repeat history or be a man
Because a real man raises his child
And every addition to his clan

Please let this be a lesson to all
While no child asks to be born
Whenever “life happens” you have a choice
Either learn and forgive or be scorned

Unless otherwise noted, All content © Brittney Pressley, 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this brought tears to my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was reading it about that same hour and could no longer read right then. I just got through it. So Real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!! Totally mind-blowing Britt!!! Tears formed in my eyes as I read this not only once but twice thus far. Definitely can relate and puts so many things into perspective for my own life experiences. Made me even realize my fear of repeating the cycle with my children. Only today, after reading your blog, was I able to consciously reflect on why only at the age of 33 turning 34 on Monday, am I only now eight months pregnant with my first child. It all makes sense now!!! I can understand why I made a conscious effort to take my time to find the right husband and father to make sure I have a husband that treats me like the queen I deserve to be treated lie and that my children have a father that is present in all aspects of their lives!!! I can say I consciously put the cycle to an end at my generation!!! God is Good and if we simply ask for direction, he moves mountains in our lives!!! GREAT JOB AND THANK YOU BRITT!!!

    ReplyDelete