Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Have a Dream...


I have a dream like Dr. Martin Luther King
That we can rise above adversity and let freedom ring

I have a dream that we can create generational wealth
And care less about buying sneakers and more about our health

I have a dream that we chose to lift each other up
To lift each other up, to lift each other up
To lift each other up, to lift each other up
Because if we act like crabs in a barrel none of us will make it if one gets stuck

I have a dream that we stop using the ‘white man’ as an excuse
And work on educating ourselves to sharpen all of our point of views

I have a dream that we stop creating baby mamas
No more broken homes, this will save us so much drama

I have a dream that we raise more respectful sons
Who decide on picking up a book instead of picking up a gun

I have a dream that our sons know that they are Kings
They already have their crown they just have to go and spread their wings

I have a dream that we raise more respectful daughters
Who learn how to swim but more importantly how to tread water

I have a dream that our daughters know that they are Queens
They just have to do what they say, and then say what they mean

I have a dream that we understand that chivalry is not dead
If Kings do not nurture their Queens how will either get ahead?

I have a dream that we put the value back in sex
Developing a bond with one person without thinking about who is next

I have a dream that we can stop with the competition
Because there is no real benefit and it only adds to the friction and attrition

I have a dream that we can empower our youth
By preaching the works of Dr. Martin, Harriet Tubman, and Sojourner Truth
And Rosa Parks, and Nat Turner, and Langston Hughes and Malcolm X
And Maya Angelou, Booker T Washington, Marcus Garvey is who is next
And Thurgood Marshall and Duke Ellington, Jackie Robinson and Barack Obama
Colin Powell, Jessie Jackson, Bill Cosby, Oprah, comma
Althea Gibson, Condelezza Rice, James Baldwin, Nat King Cole
Madame CJ Walker, Stevie Wonder, and Hank Aaron who swung for the poles
Ray Charles, George Washington Carver, Ella Fitzgerald, and Spike Lee
Sidney Portier, Iyanla Vanzant, Danny Glover, and Whoopi

I apologize in advance for all of the names that I missed
I just simply wanted to make a point so everyone could feel my gist

If all of those people fought for us just remember when the road gets dark
If all of them stand behind us, who in front can pull us apart

If all of those people fought for us just remember when the road gets dark
If all of them stand behind us, who in front can pull us apart

I have a dream, the same one from over four scores ago
And I do understand that we may have more scores and scores to go

I have a dream that we can help each other out
So that when it rains and it rains we aren’t affected by a drought

I have a dream that we will never stop dreaming
That we never stop fighting and that we never stop gleaming

I have a dream like Dr. Martin Luther King
That we can rise above adversity and let freedom ring


Unless otherwise noted, All content © Brittney Pressley, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment